Victor Young√ïs score for For Whom The Bell Tolls is simply one of the greatest he ever wrote. We are so excited to be presenting this score for the first time in almost 25 years and sounding better than ever! Victor Young began his film career in 1935. His scores include Around The World In 80 Days, The Quiet Man, Shane and Scaramouche. His songs include When I Fall In Love, Stella By Starlight, Golden Earrings and Love Letters. If you don√ït know this score, just give these samples a listen.
Based on the best-selling controversial novel by Pulitzer and Nobel Prize-winning author Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls graces the screen with legendary stars Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman. The story follows expatriate American demolition expert Robert Jordan (Cooper) who aides anti-fascist freedom fighters of Spain. Assisting him is a band of warriors including the strong-willed Pilar (Katina Paxinou in an Oscar winning performance), the dangerously undependable Pablo (Akim Tamiroff) and the lovely, innocent Maria (Bergman). As danger mounts, Robert and Maria develop a closeness that blossoms into one of the screen's greatest love stories. Epic in scope yet intimate in feeling, For Whom the Bell Tolls remains a shining example of Hollywood moviemaking at its finest.
1. Main Title / Roberto And Kashkin Blow Up A Train / Kashkin Falls (3:46)
2. Roberto And Anselmo Climb To The Cave / Pablo: √íIn These Mountains, I Command!√ì /
Rafael, The Gypsy / Pablo√ïs Jealousy / Roberto And Maria:
√íThis Is A Very Strange Woman, Roberto. She Is Of No One!√ì (5:41)
3. Pilar: √íShe Has A Tongue √â It Bites Like A Bullwhip!√ì / Pilar Sees Death In Roberto√ïs Palm (4:27)
4. Politics In The Cave / Roberto Explains His Cause /
Maria Warns Roberto About Pablo: √íIf He Pretends To Be Friendly, It Means He Has Made A Decision.√ì (3:19)
5. Maria√ïs Confession / Roberto√ïs Kiss / Maria: √íI Don√ït Know How To Kiss, Or I√ïd Kiss You.
Always I Wonder √â Where Do The Noses Go?√ì (3:12)
6. Maria: √íIn The Evenings, We√ïll Make Love.√ì (3:01)
7. El Sordo Retreats / Pilar: √íWhat Use Is Courage If You Have No Head? El Sordo Has Both. He√ïll Understand.√ì (2:25)
8. Maria And Roberto - Their Night Alone: √íAll The Things You Have Told Me Tonight.
It√ïs As If You√ïve Already Taken Me To America.√ì (3:48)
9. The Sun Rises / Maria Alone / The Bridge Is Blown (4:17)
10. Roberto Returns To Maria / Roberto, Alone, Awaits Death /
Roberto Sends Maria Away With Pilar: √íWe√ïll Go To America Another Time.√ì / End Title (5:54)